Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Day at the CSA - Day 20

Today was another glorious fall day.  We spent part of the day volunteering at Harvest Fest for our local CSA.  CSA stands for community supported agriculture.  Essentially they are farm co-ops.  Members of a CSA pay a yearly sum and enjoy the crops that are grown for a certain number of weeks, typically this is the growing season in your geographic region.  Most CSA's use organic farming techniques (crop rotation, integrated pest management, no use of pesticides or herbicides).  My CSA raises organic produce and is only 5 miles from my house.  I was on a one year waiting list to get in and now that I have participated, it is by far one of the best changes I have made to my lifestyle.  I look forward to my weekly pick up and it is especially nice to know where my food comes from.  The food also tastes much, much better.  The Harvest Festival was fun, I manned the pumpkin painting station.  Young children are always a hoot.  This is what I wore:  The top is from H&M, the dress is from Marshalls, and I don't remember where I got the shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment